Friday, July 17, 2009

My little bit of news

I innocently made a post on Facebook last week, saying I'd just gotten a very pleasant phone call. I got somewhat swarmed with inquiries about whether I'd gotten a new job, or at least a job interview, or whether Jean and I were pregnant. The answer is no to all of the above.

Apologies for ratcheting expectations up so high. So here's the real news. It's not such a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it still made me very happy.

I won first place for A&E Commentary in the annual American Association of Sunday and Features Editors contest. This was for a series of film reviews that appeared in The Herald-Tribune of Sarasota, my chief freelance client. I believe it was for reviews of "The Tale of Despereaux," "Speed Racer" and "Nights in Rodanthe."

Your average news consumer probably doesn't give a hoot, but in journalism circles it's a fairly big award. The AASFE are the biggest, most prestigious awards geared specifically to features journalism.

I'm very pleased, of course. In the current situation, every little bit of spackling to the facade of my professional dignity is most welcome.

You can read my winning reviews here, here and here.

3 comments:

  1. congrats, you deserve it.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always known that Chris was a great reviewer. All I can say is:

    "AASFE - it is about time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete